Sunday, November 24, 2013

Cheap Cheap Yoghurt

We go through a kilogram of yoghurt pretty much every week.  It only costs us $2 for a 1 kilo batch of low fat natural style yoghurt - a kilo tub at the supermarket costs $7!

Each month I purchase one plain Ezy-Yo sachet for about $3.60 - this makes us 4 kilos of yoghurt.  I half fill my yoghurt jar with water and add 100g of skim milk powder (125g is if you're using standard milk powder).  Then add a quarter of the yoghurt sachet, that's about 35g.  Give it a good stir, top up with water and put in your yoghurt maker for 10 hours.  So easy, so cheap and so good for you.

The yoghurt sachets are pretty much milk powder with active cultures - the cultures multiply to fill the jar so it's still works out fine only using a portion of the sachet.

3 comments:

  1. What a good idea, I have now got my yogurt maker out of the pantry, it was covered in dust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, another method is to keep a tablespoon of the previous batch of yoghurt as your 'starter' - but when you're not the only one dipping in there is quite often none left - not even a tablespoon. I found the results quite inconsistent too, so now go for quarter sachet method.

      Delete
  2. Beneath you will comprehend what is significant, the thought furnishes one of the connections with an energizing site: Sunshine Coast pest control

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - I love to hear from my readers